Operation “Explore More of England and Don’t Become Complacent” was in full force recently between my visit to Windsor Castle and a weekend on the English coast. Margate, to be exact. Why Margate you ask? Well I wanted to go to Cornwall but so does everyone else in England this time of year. Margate was plan B, but it turned out to be a delightful runner up.
After taking the train on Friday night from London King’s Cross station to Margate we settled into our adorable AirBnB home and prepared for a weekend of relaxation. Saturday we lucked out with sun and wandered around the old town to discover that Margate is antique shop central. I observed a woman purchase an epic mantelpiece of two fighting taxidermy squirrels from one shop. My immaturity almost got the best of me as I ran out of the store before succumbing to giggles. Squirrels aside (do you like this transition?), Margate was a unique little town. “Little” being the keyword. We saw the entire town in under an hour by foot. The rest of the day we enjoyed some beach time and a delicious lunch at BeBeached Real Food Cafe with the view above.
Fortunately my friends and fellow beach-goers Jeannette and Dan are both savvy travelers and had researched nearby options to explore beyond Margate. On Sunday morning it was raining (not beach weather) so we took the train to Sandwich. You read that right. Word has it the Sandwich was invented here, so of course Jeannette ordered a sandwich at our pub stop for lunch. So meta.
Sandwich is incredibly picturesque and quaint. I am so thankful we took a detour from Margate to explore it. It was one of those rare, unexpected finds off the beaten path when traveling.
Know Before You Go:
- You can catch a train from King’s Cross to Margate and arrive in under two hours.
- You can also get to Sandwich easily from London in under an hour, although we traveled from Margate which took approximately 40 minutes.
- Margate isn’t the fanciest beach town you’ll ever visit, but the beach is sandy which is a rarity around these parts. Remember when I went to Brighton and saw the rocky beach?
- This guide on the “Top 10 things to do in Margate” from 2010 is a bit old but still helpful.
- Here’s a good site for information on Sandwich, England for history and highlights.